Video © Comedy Central
Jon Stewart‘s Gaywatch takes a sideways look at the UK’s supreme court ruling against B&B owners Peter and Hazelmary Bull who refused to allow a gay couple to sleep in a double room and asks how the Catholic church could possibly be “out-marketed” on LGBT issues when it is supposed to have God on its side!
Gay ban guest house OAPs ‘saddened’ after losing fight against paying damages 27 Nov 2013
Five judges ruled they had broken the law by refusing to let Martyn Hall and civil partner Steven Preddy sleep in a double room
The elderly Christian owners of a guest house who turned away a gay couple have lost their fight against having to pay damages for sex discrimination.
But the five judges today ruled they had broken the law by refusing to let Martyn Hall and his civil partner Steven Preddy sleep together in a double room at their guest house in Marazion, Cornwall.
Mrs Bull said after the hearing: “We are deeply disappointed and saddened. We’re just ordinary Christians who believe in the importance of marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
“Britain ought to be a country of freedom and tolerance, but it seems religious beliefs must play second fiddle to the new orthodoxy of political correctness.
“We appealed to the Supreme Court to introduce a bit more balance when dealing with competing rights of sexual orientation and religious liberty.
“Somehow, we have got to find a way of allowing different beliefs to coexist in our society.
“The judges sidestepped that big issue and reinforced the notion that gay rights must trump everything else.”
In 2011 a judge at Bristol County Court concluded that the Bulls acted unlawfully and ordered them to pay a total of £3,600 damages. In 2012 the Court of Appeal dismissed an appeal by the Bulls following a hearing in London.
Hazelmary added: “It’s our home. All we have ever tried to do is live according to our own values, under our own roof.”
Mrs Bull said she and her husband bore no “ill-will to Steven and Martyn”.
Source: Daily Mirror
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff
- Drones will be used to enforce ObamaCare….apparently
- Obama’s Drone Strikes Are Murder – It’s That Simple
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit
- If Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers he’s wrong
- Investment Banks & Bankers: Too Big (Headed) To Jail
- Now it’s clear – the Royal Mail privatisation ripped-off the British people
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 1)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 2)
- What Has Goldman Sachs Got In Common With The New Monopoly Board Game? John Oliver Has The Answer
- The Tyranny of Private Gains and Public Losses
- Why DOJ Deemed Bank Execs Too Big To Jail (forbes.com)
- Matt Taibbi ~ New Bank Investigations: Real Action, Or More Of The Same? (shiftfrequency.com)