Yesterday I wrote a post explaining how I believe that the media are largely responsible for generating and spreading fear and hysteria about immigration and setting out some of the central and broadly accepted facts about the issue. Throughout today I have heard little else other than examples of crass numpties interviewing or being interviewed about their thoughts and ‘personal’ experiences in respect of the ‘immigration problem’ and regurgitating lies and half-truths on the subject.
Here’s Michelle Heaton giving her ‘personal’ insight to Matthew Wright this morning (if you cannot access the Youtube video links to audio are at the end of the transcript). As you read or listen to Michelle explain how other people’s experiences count as her personal experience make sure that you keep an ear open for the word “maybe” when she explains that an overcrowded school stopped her friend from accessing her preferred choice for her children’s education:
MW: Michelle, do you think that there’s a problem and do you think that a two year wait for benefits is the way to deal with it?
MH: …I totally agree with you [meaning Dominic Holland who had just confirmed that he agrees with the Telegraph #sigh]….and the only way that I can compare what’s been said and all of the information that we’ve been given is from my personal experiences….. For me, I know that being a mum, I have got friends who have got kids and I know that you were just saying that they [immigrants] take up places in education and doctors surgeries or whatever it might be and I know that a couple of my friends children haven’t been able to get a place in their public [state] school because of overcrowding and then when she’s asked “OK, who in the area’s going?” and unfortunately it’s, it’s MAYBE immigrants or somebody who are claiming benefits….
MW: …So British born nationals feel squeezed out..?
MH: Yeah, maybe that needs to be looked at… and also I have a family member who have paid taxes all their lives and worked all of their lives, NEVER HAD A DAY OFF, and got into a bit of trouble recently and needed some help, needed a bit of benefits. You know, over 50, hadn’t been able to claim their pension because they changed that age limit to 65 and they were refused because they didn’t meet the criteria. So what’s the right and wrong answer? I don’t know what the right answer is. I don’t know if waiting two years is right but I know something’s not right.
MW: There are millions of people out there with stories like yours…..
WTF! YES MATTHEW THERE ARE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE LIKE MICHELLE WHO HAVE NOT PERSONALLY BEEN AFFECTED BY IMMIGRATION BUT APPARENTLY KNOW SOMEONE THAT HAS AND ARE THEREFORE OUTRAGED ON THAT PERSON’S BEHALF. THIS IS WHERE THE SHAMBLES THAT IS FAUX MEDIA ANGER AT IMMIGRATION HAS LED US.
SHAME ON YOU FOR ADDING TO THE NONSENSE.
Watch (from approx. 20mins in to the show or listen to the 2m clip via the link below) Michelle Heaton discuss her “personal experience” of immigration with Matthew Wright (to be fair I could have chosen any number of examples today but Ms Heaton demonstrates my point most succinctly).
Listen Up! (Or Click this link http://yourlisten.com/Incorrigible/michelle-heaton-wright-stuff
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien (audio)
- The BBC receives record number of complaints about its extensive and biased election coverage of UKIP
- How the BBC has been instrumental in the rise of UKIP (video)
- FIFA: the ugly face of the beautiful game (video)
- We are not a meritocracy and there is no social mobility. Dominic Raab takes a beating from Owen Jones on the Daily Politics (video)
- This is Colbchella goddammit and it’s time to dance! (video)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- In the thick of it at the UKIP carnival
- Finally! Nigel Farage’s vile views exposed by James O’Brien (Video)
- James O’Brien shows UKIP supporters why facts matter
- Shocking recording released of Nigel Farage’s first official complaint about his neighbours
- UKIP’s party election broadcast fact-checked and found (seriously) wanting
- Fruitcake or loony? Nigel Farage and UKIP get a kicking on Have I Got News For You
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester
- UKIP: lying about who makes the UK’s laws since 2009
- Australian PM Tony Abbott is the Daily Mail personified (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s suspended sentence is just another in an “endless catalogue of insane judgements by male judges excusing men who attack women (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- You Know That They’re Racist When….. They Imply That Being Black Makes You More Likely To Be A Criminal (video)
- It’s not just UKIP members who are fruit loops, it’s their donors too!
- You Know That They’re Racist When….. They Imply That Being Black Makes You More Likely To Be A Criminal
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill-Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC (And The Daily Mail)
- Wait: What? How Could You Possibly..You’ve Got To Be Kid… There Is No Way… I Can’t.. Oh My God!
- Truthiness: The Telegraph is guilty of lazy and biased journalism but, as ever, it’s all the fault of the BBC (video)
- Right-wing think tank accuses BBC of left-wing bias & The Telegraph publishes the accusation again. So who’s really guilty of “group think”?
- Will Tea Party Republicans (and Donald Trump) Ever Accept That President Obama Is Not A Muslim? Apparently Not! (video)
- Obama’s drone strikes are murder – it’s that simple (video)
- Do whistleblowers risk our security? Jon Gaunt and Christina Patterson don’t know but the BBC wastes our time and licence fee paying them to find out (video)
- Out of sight and out of her mind: what is the point of Louise Mensch? (video)
- Everything you wanted to know about Europe but were too afraid to ask (according to Newsnight) (Video)
- Talking Bull about the bedroom tax….err I mean spare room subsidy (video)
- How banks have hoodwinked you over high frequency trading
- The 24 hour news cycle gives us all heat but very little light
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- Eurosceptics & UKIP grateful for baby talk distraction as Tory review into EU powers comes up with ‘wrong’ answer (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Audio Clip from BBC Radio 4 ‘More or Less’ confirming UKIP ‘lies about the EU being responsible for 75% of UK legislation
- The Facts, the Myths and the Framing of Immigration (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Migration Myths (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- The Daily Mail: hating the British people (especially women & immigrants) since 1933 and why we need Leveson enacted in full (video)
- Richard Cohen Washington Post columnist: Is it still racist homophobia if it’s in parentheses? video
- Assad is an a**hole! (video)
- How the fight against wealth inequality makes 99% of us Nazis (video)
- Faisal Islam’s (not) looking for answers (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- David Cameron let’s the cat out of the bag about Maria Miller
- Royal Mail privatisation – Vince Cable’s epic fail
- David Cameron and Theresa May have been hiding inconvenient ‘crimes’ and immigration statistics
- Evidence not ideology: The signal and the noise or lies, more lies, even more lies and government statistics
- Piers Morgan get it the f*ck together on transgender politics
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester
- Tax dodging Amazon patent’s “displaying things” (video)
- The “rank hypocrisy” of political donations (video)