UBS and Goldman Sachs who were appointed by the government to run the privatisation advised that the Royal Mail was worth £3.7bn but other banks including JP Morgan and Citibank said that it was probably worth up to £10bn.
The shares are now trading at £5.60/share a 67% premium to the £3.30/share sale price and its largest shareholders are ‘activist’ hedge funds (including one of the most “aggressive” in the country) and foreign sovereign wealth funds. Facing criticism on the day the of the privatisation, Vince Cable said that the initial aftermarket price (it was immediately up by one-third) was froth and was not a fair way to assess the success of the privatisation. Based on todays price the British taxpayer appears to have lost even more than originally indicated in the aftermarket. The true scale of the loss to the British taxpayer is £1.1bn.
This is what happens when incompetent, greedy bankers advise incompetent, inexperienced government ministers.
Newsnight 19 November 2013
- Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers – he’s wrong
- Police say Grant Shapps’ firm sales “may constitute offence of fraud” but refuse to investigate (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Public Accounts Committee says Iain Duncan Smith’s universal credit guilty of “shocking failures in management” and is an “unmitigated disaster” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- “Mismanagement” and a “lack of transparency” – just an average day in coalition government (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising fox like you should! (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Lord Saatchi: Capitalism isn’t working (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: “Red Ed” – Is It Really Back To The Future? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America (Updated)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- The “Rank Hypocrisy” Of Political Donations (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Truthiness: The Telegraph is guilty of lazy and biased journalism but, as ever, it’s all the fault of the BBC (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? (Revised and updated) (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Update: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 2(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 3 (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism
- Proof Beyond Reason – For Eurosceptics Is There Any Amount of Evidence That Would Be Enough? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)