Major General Michael Lehnert tells Channel 4 News he believes it is time Barack Obama makes good on his promise to end the detention of terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay.
The following was posted on this blog on 27 July 2013:
To watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
Video © Comedy Central
Lt Cmdr Charles Swift explains why holding innocent people in Guantanamo Bay is anti-American.
Guantanamo Bay continues to shame the US around the world. Over 100 prisoners in Gitmo have been on hunger strike for some 6 months in protest at their detention. Most of the detainees have not been charged with a crime or tried and over half the remaining population have even been cleared for release by the US Government.
“Reprieve has launched a campaign to rally support for Guantanamo prisoners who are on hunger-strike in protest against their detention without charge or trial. The campaign asks members of the public to undertake their own short-term hunger-strikes in solidarity with the prisoners, and donate the time to support them, while also raising the issue with their political representatives. The website [http://www.standfastforjustice.org/] consolidates the total number of hours of hunger-striking undertaken in this way.
Prisoners in Guantanamo have been hunger-striking since February this year, with the total number involved now well over 100. The strike is in protest against their ongoing detention, despite the vast majority of prisoners never having been charged or tried, and over half the remaining population having even been cleared for release by the US Government. However, their peaceful protest has met with an increasingly aggressive response from camp authorities, including force-feeding and violent procedures known as ‘forcible cell extractions’ (FCEs).
Commenting, Reprieve’s Director and attorney for Guantanamo prisoners Clive Stafford Smith, said: “President Obama could take the steps needed to release cleared prisoners from Guantanamo any time he likes, but so far has lacked the political courage to do so. We hope that public solidarity with the hunger-strikers in Guantanamo will persuade him to change his mind.”
1. For further information, please contact Clemency Wells in Reprieve’s press office: +44 (0) 207 553 8161 / +44 (0) 7739 188 097 email@example.com
- Force Feeding of Prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is Exactly Like This… (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars
- Elliot Rodger and how America has reached mass shooting ‘acceptance’ (video)
- NRA 2014 convention: whatever the question guns everywhere is the answer (video)
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- The Senate Vote Against Limited Background Checks for Gun Sales Is A Disgrace And A F*ck You To Every Dead Child In Newtown And Beyond (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Fox News hates the US constitution(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Fox News knows how to keep the spirit of Christmas (by despising the homeless)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you aint seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- If you don’t like gays, don’t run a bed and breakfast (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Richard Cohen Washington Post columnist: Is it still racist homophobia if it’s in brackets? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising Fox like you should! (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)