So the Daily Mail’s editor, Paul Dacre, is at it again. Attempting to smear leading members of the Labour Party with innuendo based on events that happened over 30 years ago and for which the most critical accusations are either in dispute or denied in their entirety.
Originally published on 20 December, this disgusting ‘story’ was largely ignored by quality purveyors of current affairs as not worthy of being described as news. Even so Dacre has managed, presumably by the force of numbers of articles that he has filled his bile sheet with each day to persuade the rest of the media that there is a real story here. Indeed he has published four more articles today taking the total to almost 30 just this week. By way of contrast, I could find only four articles on the Daily Mail website that mention Sir Peter Morrison, an actual paedophile and member of Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet in the 1980’s and two of those articles are attacks on Labour’s Tom Watson for having the temerity to raise the issue in parliament.
As with much of the Daily Mail’s output, this smear campaign is atrociously written and full of sneering innuendo which asks its readers to draw inferences far beyond what the facts can reasonably be considered to substantiate.
The BBC, which had managed to steer clear of getting into the sewer with Dacre was forced into action on Monday morning by the Mail’s goading that its liberal news team were protecting the Labour party and had thus proved again that they had left-wing bias. That is the news team now run by Murdoch acolyte and former editor of The Times, James Harding!
As the story developed the Today programme on Radio 4 ran the story and then Newsnight were able to get Harman in front of the cameras. As you can see for yourself, in the interview, Laura Kuenssberg decided, rather than be a journalist, she wanted to be a female Jeremy Paxman and as result she failed on both fronts. Nonetheless, Kuenssberg’s interview allowed Dacre to run a fourth consecutive front page accusing Harman of providing succour to paedophiles and then failing to apologise.
Andrew Pierce, Dacre’s sidekick and latterly human shield, was given the thankless task of trying to justify Dacre’s weasel words across the media platforms. Here he is on yesterday’s Daily Politics being given short shrift by Andrew Neil.
Of course, Dacre and the Daily Mail have between them almost one hundred years of form in this regard. So I thought that it might be helpful if we took a look at a few of the disgusting things that they have done over the years for which the British deserve but are still waiting for an apology.
The following is from a post first published October 2013.
The Daily Mail, devised by Alfred Harmsworth (later Lord Northcliffe) and his brother Harold (later Lord Rothermere), was first published on 4 May 1896. In the ensuing years it became increasingly populist in its outlook. A few years before Ralph Miliband’s teenage spleen was being vented in the cauldron of the Second World War, a very adult Viscount Rothermere was expressing a different kind of ‘hatred’ for Britain by writing extensively of his support (which included funding) for the charismatic Oswald Moseley‘s British Union of Fascists aka “Blackshirts” who, interestingly were only a few years away from changing their name to the British Union of Fascists and National Socialists! The image below is of a Daily Mail page printed, apparently from its content, in 1933/1934.
“Mosley, known to his followers as The Leader, modelled his leadership style on Benito Mussolini and the BUF on Mussolini’s National Fascist Party in Italy, including an imitation of the Italian Fascists‘ black uniforms for members, earning them the nickname “Blackshirts“. The BUF was anti-communist and protectionist, and proposed replacing parliamentary democracy with executives elected to represent specific industries, trades or other professional interest groups – a system similar to the corporatism of the Italian fascists. Unlike the Italian system, British fascist corporatism planned to replace the House of Lords with elected executives drawn from major industries, the clergy, and colonies. The House of Commons was to be reduced to allow for a faster, “less factionist” democracy.
The BUF’s programme and ideology were outlined in Mosley’s Great Britain (1932) and A. Raven Thompson’s The Coming Corporate State (1938). Many BUF policies were built on isolationism, prohibiting trade outside an insulated British Empire. Mosley’s system aimed to protect the British economy from the fluctuations of the world market, especially during the Great Depression, and prevent “cheap slave competition from abroad.” (Wikipedia)
So, how does that compare with the Daily Mail today?
Reduce the size of the House of Commons – Tick!
- Anti-communist – Big tick!
- Isolationist – I think demanding that we leave the EU means massive tick!
- Prevent cheap slave competition from foreign workers – ginormous tick!
- Support for large corporations and belief in the righteousness of the corporate state – humongous tick!
But enough of the history lesson, this is part of Ed Miliband’s response to the Daily Mail as published in the Evening Standard:
“Mr Miliband described how his father arrived in Britain from Belgium after walking 100 kilometres with his dad to catch one of the last boats out before German soldiers arrived. Four years later, a 20-year-old Ralph joined the Royal Navy and fought the Nazis for his adopted country as part of the D-Day landings in Normandy in June 1944. On why his father joined the navy, Mr Miliband added: “He did so because he was determined to be part of the fight against the Nazis and to help his family hidden in Belgium. He was fighting for Britain.”
I would like to see Viscount Rothermere’s patriotic credentials or, for that matter, the current editor Paul Dacre’s. How do you think that they are likely to stack up against a RN volunteer who was at the D-Day landings?
If you have read this blog before you will be aware that it considers the Daily Mail to be nothing more than an opinion sheet that spends its time misinforming its readers and spreading a particularly nasty and vindictive form of bile that infects the social fabric and political debate in the UK. From its weirdly prurient old man in a trench coat approach to women and pornography:
To it’s anti-science approach to health:
…especially cancer and vaccines:
To its reactionary anti-women, pro-paedophilia position:
To its Islamophobic and demonization of the disabled position:
To its homophobia:
To its man-made climate change denial stance:
…and their pro-porn, misogynist stance WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS NUDITY:
This blog derides Daily Mail readers as numpties or DMB’s (Daily Mail Brits) because, as they obtain their information from a comic, they are massively uninformed and it often amuses and bemuses that they have such strong opinions.
Occasionally, as on Saturday, or when they printed this headline earlier this year this blog’s cup of ire runneth over and it is compelled to respond in some minor way:
..oh and did we mention that the Daily Mail hates women? WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS SWEARING AND ADULT REFERENCES:
This post would naturally have ended at this point but Paul Dacre, sensing that he may have gone too far has today doubled down on his crapulence.
In doing so, he has accidentally revealed the real cause of the Daily Mail’s anger with Ed Miliband and it is nothing to do with Miliband’s father.
It is, in fact, motivated wholly by Paul Dacre’s anger at Ed Miliband’s strong backing for the Leveson recommendations which are supposed to rein in the excesses of the press that we have seen in recent years.
A point rammed home by Jeremy Hunt’s intervention.
Hunt has been biding his time since having been dragged over the coals during the Leveson inquiry for his clear bias in the Murdoch-SkyTV takeover farrago and he appears to think now would be a good time for pay back.
This from Dacre’s ‘defence’ of the Mail as reported in today’s Independent (format changes by me for emphasis):
“But what is blindingly clear from everything that he wrote throughout his life is that he had nothing but hatred for the values, traditions and institutions – including our great schools, the Church, the Army and even the Sunday papers – that made Britain the safe and free nation in which he and his family flourished.”
The paper also attacked Mr Miliband for his support of tougher press regulation in response to the Leveson Inquiry: “If he crushes the freedom of the press, no doubt his father will be proud of him from beyond the grave, where he lies 12 yards from the remains of Karl Marx.
“But he will have driven a hammer and sickle through the heart of the nation so many of us genuinely love.”
But while Mr Cameron may have defended Mr Miliband the Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt appeared to take the side of the Mail.
He said Ralph Miliband was “no friend of the free market economy” and he had never heard Ed Miliband say he supports it.
“The argument between the Mail and Ed Miliband over Ralph Miliband is something that they need to sort out the details of.
“But what I would say is that Ralph Miliband was no friend of the free market economy, he thought that was wrong, and I have never heard Ed Miliband say he supports the free market economy.
“I think the important thing for voters is to know exactly where Ed Miliband stands on these fundamental issues about our society.”
Sadly for Dacre, he has let the cat out of the bag and in the process demonstrated as clearly as possible, why we need Leveson style press oversight in the UK. The privy council meets next week to discuss the press regulation Royal Charter and whether to stick closely to the Leveson proposals or follow the watered down proposals of Dacre & Co aka Pressbof.
The publishers and editor of the Daily Mail have nothing but hatred for the values, traditions and institutions of Britain and are engaged in a war against the British people. It’s about time its readers took a stand against ignorance and hate and demanded the immediate enactment of the Leveson recommendations.
- The Daily Mail: Love, Nazis and Taxes
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester
- The Daily Mail’s Record Of Misleading Readers Over Health Issues Isn’t Funny
- Matthew Wright Has a Good Day: Corrects the Daily Mail and a Few Callers
- Migration Myths
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill-Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration?
- Proof Beyond Reason – For Eurosceptics Is There Any Amount of Evidence That Would Be Enough?
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse
- Where Are The British Daily Show And Colbert Report?
- Econ 101: maximum rage about the minimum wage (video)
- The FT’s take-down of Thomas Piketty is no Thomas Herndon moment (video)
- When it comes to cutting the budget deficit, why do conservatives think tax cuts for the wealthy are different to welfare cuts for the poor? (Video)
- Tim Geithner fails the Jon Stewart stress test (Daily Show extended interview video)
- Antarctica – stop coming here! (video)
- Update: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 2 (video)
- The NSA’s posture on collecting your private data: “We collect it all, sniff it all, process it all and exploit it all” (video)
- Whether conservative or progressive your Daily Mail style science denial is hurting our kids and killing our planet (video)
- Gun control works and the Australian experience proves it (video)
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising Fox like you should! (video)
- We are not a meritocracy and there is no social mobility. Dominic Raab takes a beating from Owen Jones on the Daily Politics (video)
- FIFA: the ugly face of the beautiful game (video)
- Tax dodging Amazon patent’s “displaying things” (video)
- The more you actually don’t know (video)
- John Oliver on the anti-immigration debate (video)
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you aint seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- If Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers he’s wrong
- Investment Banks & Bankers: Too Big (Headed) To Jail
- Now it’s clear – the Royal Mail privatisation ripped-off the British people
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 1)
- The Tyranny of Private Gains and Public Losses
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 2)
- James O’Brien shows UKIP supporters why facts matter
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- Wealth inequality and other things we don’t have to learn from America
- If you don’t like gays, don’t run a bed and breakfast (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Drones will be used to enforce ObamaCare….apparently (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Richard Cohen Washington Post columnist: Is it still racist homophobia if it’s in brackets? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)#
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising Fox like you should! (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- What Has Goldman Sachs Got In Common With The New Monopoly Board Game? John Oliver Has The Answer
- Royal Mail privatisation – Vince Cable’s epic fail
- David Cameron and Theresa May have been hiding inconvenient ‘crimes’ and immigration statistics
- Evidence not ideology: The signal and the noise or lies, more lies, even more lies and government statistics
- Piers Morgan get it the f*ck together on transgender politics
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!
- The end of net neutrality is why everything that you enjoy on the internet is about to cost you more
- This is how a highly regulated banking system works and it is what global banking should look like
- Capitalism: serving God and Mammon?
- World At One: Embarrassing DEFRA Report on Food Banks Finally Released
- The “Rank Hypocrisy” Of Political Donations (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America (Updated) (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Talking Bull About The Bedroom Tax….Err I Mean Spare Room Subsidy (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Why Should MPs Earn the Same as GPs or Headmasters? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do Whistleblowers Risk Our Security? Jon Gaunt And Christina Patterson Don’t know But The BBC Wastes Our Time And Licence Fee Paying Them To Find Out (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Truthiness: “Whipping Up A Frenzy” About Benefit Tourism (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
SHHH DONT MENTION MUSLIM GROOMING GANGS ROTHERHAM ONLY WHITE TRASH ENGLISH GIRLS SO WHO CARES, LABOUR SAID ENGLISH WEREN’T WORTH SAVING ANYWAY, AND WHITE GIRL VICTIMS ARE RACIST STOPPING MUSLIM MALE EQUALITY