On Sunday Lara Logan apologized on air for the mistakes that CBS News’ 60 Minutes had made in their report on Benghazi at the end of October.
As you may be aware, CBS had to retract the portion of the Oct. 27 story featuring an “exclusive” interview with one “Morgan Jones” who said he had arrived at the U.S. embassy compound in Benghazi, in the middle of the Sept. 11, 2012, firefight that left four U.S. envoys dead. He said the attack was led by Al Qaeda, and his comments appeared in direct opposition to the Obama administration’s — thus fanning the flames of the ongoing “cover-up” conspiracy theories that have swirled in its wake.
But Jones — real name Dylan Davies — fabricated the account, and CBS retracted Sunday night. (The report put “60” squarely in the midst of an ongoing battle between left and right, with right initially citing Davies’ account as proof of cover-up; plus there was also the implication that if Davies could fight his way into the compound, where was the significant U.S. response?
Newsday 13 November 2013
Due to copyright restrictions in order to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
(Video © Comedy Central)
When the original show aired Fox News were quick to highlight the fact that the 60 Minutes expose confirmed what they had claimed all along – that President Obama and Hillary Clinton had, among other things, failed in their duty to provide adequate protection to the embassy staff and that they knew that it had been a terrorist attack even as they claimed that the situation was unclear. Talk about acting in haste….
Meanwhile the GOP which had moved precipitously, as it transpires, to announce that they would block President Obama’s appointments until there was a full investigation of the incident decided that despite the 60 Minutes piece turning out to have been based on fabricated ‘evidence’ they would continue with their blocking tactics .
Sen. Lindsey Graham had berated President Obama’s administration for having “a bad habit of telling stories that are not true that are politically beneficial” in relation to the original 60 Minutes report but it seems neither he nor Fox News will ever let go of this – even when they know that all the evidence shows that they are wrong.
Post first published 14 November 2013
- Where Are The British Daily Show And Colbert Report? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!
- How Citigroup wrote the US budget and effectively repealed the Dodd-Frank bank reforms (video)
- In 2015, whether it’s abuse, poverty or disability, we are all survivors and we are stronger together (video)
- Biased US supreme court strengthens wealthy donors’ influence on political parties (video)
- The Blackstone and Codere scandal: “just another day on Wall Street” (video)
- Wealth inequality madness: tax policy is made by the few for the few at the expense (and with the support) of the many (video)
- When it comes to cutting the budget deficit, why do conservatives think tax cuts for the wealthy are different to welfare cuts for the poor? (Video)
- Thomas Piketty – Why we need a global wealth tax (video)
- Wealth inequality and other things we don’t have to learn from America (video)
- Why do Republicans keep telling everyone “I am not a scientist”? (video)
- The science is clear and unequivocal, so why is there a ‘debate’ about climate change? (video)
- RNC claim thirty-five thousand ‘possible’ cases of voter fraud justifies their racist reforms but they’re wrong (again) video
- How the fight against wealth inequality makes 99% of us Nazis (video)
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- You Know That They’re Racist When….. They Accuse You Of “Playing The Race Card”
- If Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers he’s wrong
- Investment Banks & Bankers: Too Big (Headed) To Jail
- Now it’s clear – the Royal Mail privatisation ripped-off the British people
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 1)
- The Tyranny of Private Gains and Public Losses
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 2)
- James O’Brien shows UKIP supporters why facts matter
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you aint seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing congress (video) (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It
- The Senate Vote Against Limited Background Checks for Gun Sales Is A Disgrace And A F*ck You To Every Dead Child In Newtown And Beyond