I have just heard one of the poorest interviews on the subject of high frequency trading that I have had the misfortune to come across on the usually excellent Today programme on BBC Radio 4. The interviewer, Evan Davis, had the opportunity to question a leading hedge fund manager and supporter of HFT about the quasi-criminal activity which is currently the subject of enquiries by the FBI, Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission. The opportunity was not taken and instead we were treated to five minutes of half-truths and accusations from the fund manager which Davis was simply not able to counter.
For those who would like to understand the scandal the main points are covered in the Michael Lewis interview below.
First, here’s an introduction to high frequency trading and its associated market risks by the More or Less team on Radio 4 back in 2012:
Now you have the basics here is Michael Lewis explaining how high frequency traders are exploiting their market position to undertake legal ‘front running’ and make profits from your trading without you even being made aware that the market is rigged against you.
Type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
(Video © Comedy Central)
- If Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers he’s wrong
- Investment Banks & Bankers: Too Big (Headed) To Jail
- Now it’s clear – the Royal Mail privatisation ripped-off the British people
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 1)
- The Tyranny of Private Gains and Public Losses
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 2)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: Part 1 Glenn Greenwald interview
- If You Have Done Nothing Wrong What Have You Got To Fear: Julian Smith a ‘Right Honourable’ member?
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: Part 2 There are no friends in the spying game
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime
- Regulation is why the Canadian banking system has had no financial crises in 150 years
- What has Goldman Sachs got in common with the new version of the Monopoly board game?
- Right-wing ideology: “government should never interfere with the free market (except when it suits conservatives)”
- Where Are The British Daily Show And Colbert Report?
- J K Rowling knows that fair tax is the price we pay for civilisation
- RNC claim thirty-five thousand ‘possible’ cases of voter fraud justifies their racist reforms but they’re wrong (again)
- Biased US supreme court strengthens wealthy donors’ influence on political parties
- Supreme Court declares racism is dead in America…..but they forgot to tell Donald Sterling and Cliven Bundy…
- Thomas Piketty – Why we need a global wealth tax
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff
- If you don’t like gays, don’t run a bed and breakfast
- The end of net neutrality is why everything that you enjoy on the internet is about to cost you more
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It
- This is how a highly regulated banking system works and it is what global banking should look like
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone
- The 24 hour news cycle gives us all heat but very little light
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Wealth Inequality And Other Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America (Updated)
- Capitalism: serving God and Mammon?
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you ain’t seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- James O’Brien shows UKIP supporters why facts matter
- Fruitcake or loony? Nigel Farage and UKIP get a kicking on Have I Got News For You
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill-Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC (And The Daily Mail)
- How banks have hoodwinked you over high frequency trading
- David Cameron let’s the cat out of the bag about Maria Miller
- Evidence not ideology: The signal and the noise or lies, more lies, even more lies and government statistics
- Iain Duncan Smith: “On time and on budget” just one more lie from a man who has lied to the public for years (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Public Accounts Committee says Iain Duncan Smith’s Universal Credit project is guilty of “shocking failures in management” and is an “unmitigated disaster” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Updated With Video: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister says he ‘believes’ to be true? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 2 (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 3 (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Migration Myths (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Faisal Islam’s (not) looking for answers (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising fox like you should! (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Lord Saatchi: Capitalism isn’t working (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: “Red Ed” – Is It Really Back To The Future? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- The “Rank Hypocrisy” Of Political Donations (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Truthiness: The Telegraph is guilty of lazy and biased journalism but, as ever, it’s all the fault of the BBC (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism