“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts” Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan If you want to know the objective facts about the EU, you can download the Regents report here: The UK & Europe: Costs, Benefits, Options Regents Report 2013. this is what The Observer said about the report back in November:
Subtitled The Regent’s Report 2013, the 237-page document is going to be useful to all sides if we do have to go through what I myself regard as an unnecessary and time-wasting referendum on our membership of the European Union.
For a group of authors who are largely pro-European – and some, even now, pro-eurozone – they have produced a remarkably balanced document, with the emphasis on – wait for it – facts. There is plenty of acknowledgement of the tiresome aspects of the EU, and among a plethora of statistics, some obvious ones stand out.
These will not be new to students of the EU, but you can be sure they will not be highlighted by the anti-Europe brigade – many of whom have very nice houses in France, Spain, Italy and other parts of the EU. Suffice it to repeat here that, for all the fuss made by the anti-European press and Ukip, the entire “Brussels budget” amounts to 1% of EU gross domestic product.
Confusion can be worse confounded when it comes to facts. With economic statistics, we are often talking about estimates rather than facts. I have never found any evidence that Keynes made the remark often attributed to him: “When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”
The explanation is simple: Keynes was far too intelligent to believe that facts could change. Facts are facts. Circumstances can change, and new information or more refined calculation can alter previous estimates.
- Whether it’s abuse, poverty or disability, we are all survivors and we are stronger together (video)
- James O’Brien shows UKIP supporters why facts matter
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester
- UKIP: lying about who makes the UK’s laws since 2009
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- UKIP’s party election broadcast fact-checked and found (seriously) wanting
- It’s not just UKIP members who are fruit loops, it’s their donors too!
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.1 Godfrey Bloom
- If you don’t like gays, don’t run a bed and breakfast
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill-Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC (And The Daily Mail)
- The 24 hour news cycle gives us all heat but very little light
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- Eurosceptics & UKIP grateful for baby talk distraction as Tory review into EU powers comes up with ‘wrong’ answer (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Migration Myths (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- David Cameron and Theresa May have been hiding inconvenient ‘crimes’ and immigration statistics
- Piers Morgan get it the f*ck together on transgender politics