To chair the more, for Theresa May, career affecting review into the conduct of the home office regarding missing dossiers and other documents she has appointed Peter Wanless, the current CEO of the NSPCC. The organisation that he chairs makes Wanless appear to be unimpeachably independent in matters of child abuse. However, some may regard Wanless’ earlier career as a senior civil servant to be more relevant when considering his independence.
In a long and distinguished career as an official, Wanless served as PPS to three separate government ministers and was head of the Private Finance Policy unit. He was later appointed as the head of the Big Lottery Fund; a position regarded by some as awarded on a nod and a wink from the political establishment. Unlike many civil service high fliers Wanless is yet to receive either a knighthood or a seat in the house of lords suffering quietly with a CB. Accepting this chairmanship may go some way to laying the groundwork for a more serious ‘gong’ when the new year’s honours list is announced.
[vimeo 100128924 w=500&h=285]
Video © BBC
Theresa May’s vague offer of a full public inquiry, possibly, in certain conditions and at some date likely to be after the general election is simply not good enough. The accusations of child rape and torture against MP’s and the possibility of a cover-up are not only heinous crimes but raise questions about the legitimacy of our system of government and the independence of our policing and judicial system.
These are critical questions that cannot wait for a politically expedient moment to be investigated. Much of the evidence for these alleged crimes is 30 or 40 years old; witnesses are aged or in some cases already dead. Every day that May delays what she must know is an inevitable judge led public inquiry, makes it less likely that we will discover the truth or see the guilty in jail.
…and maybe that is ultimately the whole point.
Please vote in the poll on my original post.
NSPCC http://www.nspcc.org.uk/ Tel: 0808 800 5000
The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) http://www.ceop.police.uk/ Telephone: +44 (0)870 000 3344 or 999 in an emergency
*There is help available for adult survivors of childhood abuse online however I am not in a position to highlight any individual organisation
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- Inside Story – ‘The Secret Life of a Paedophile’ and the Peter Righton cover-up (video)
- David Cameron accused of putting self-interest ahead of public interest with his “patronising attitude” to child sex abuse survivors
- An unamed MP is accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk to withhold child sex abuse evidence (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- The publication of the Rochdale child sex abuse report replaces the “culture of hopelessness” with the the more familiar culture of passing the buck (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s DWP forcing jobseekers to use government website riddled with fraudulent job ads
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!
- How the fight against wealth inequality makes 99% of us Nazis
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester
- Obama: Judge, Jury & Executioner
- The end of net neutrality is why everything that you enjoy on the internet is about to cost you more
- When it comes to cuts, why are welfare benefits for the wealthy different to those for the poor?
- This is how a highly regulated banking system works and it is what global banking should look like
- Newsnight 6 Jan 2014: Conservative party double down on their war on the poor
- Fergus Wilson: This is what happens when welfare is withdrawn and unregulated scumbag landlords are allowed to dictate which of us deserves a home
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? (Revised and updated) (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Update: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 2
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 3
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism
- Proof Beyond Reason – For Eurosceptics Is There Any Amount of Evidence That Would Be Enough?