“Jon Stewart did a great job in illustrating the warped thinking of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia today. He used the Bruce James Abramski case to ridicule Scalia.Abramski purchased a gun for his uncle three days after the uncle wrote him a check. The memo line of the $400 check had the statement “Glock 19 handgun.” Bruce James Abramski checked the box stating he was the buyer. Abramski was later arrested for making false statements about a purchased of a gun. The Supreme Court voted 5 to 4 upholding the law under which Abramski was arrested.
Due to copyright restrictions in order to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
Video © Comedy Central
Jon Stewart first showed snippets of the Firearms Transaction Record that clearly states that only the actual buyer could take possession of the gun. It also clearly states that it is a felony to misrepresent one’s self on the form.
Jon Stewart ridiculed Justice Antonin Scalia’s rational for dissenting. Scalia asserted that if a gun buyer steps outside and sell his gun immediately, presumably for a profit, it should not be illegal. Scalia characterizes a transaction as follows.
As soon as I buy it, I walk out of the store I meet this guy in the parking lot. He says, ‘Hey, that’s a nifty looking gun there. Ah – how much did you pay for it?’ He says, ‘You know, I paid six hundred dollars, I’ll give ya seven hundred. It’s yours.’ Right? I can hand it to him, can’t I?’
“There apparently is no prohibition,” Jon Stewart said. “of transferring the gun after you buy it. So what is your point Scalia?” Stewart went on to play a clip where Scalia implies that the law made no sense because anyone who wants a gun can get their hands on one. Is he blind to the fact that as these laws are enforced less guns would be out there?
Jon Stewart then illustrated the big loophole in the gun control laws. One must get background checks in stores but no background checks required for personal sales.”
- Gun store owner targeted by extremists (video)
- Elliot Rodger and how America has reached mass shooting ‘acceptance’ (video)
- NRA 2014 convention: whatever the question guns everywhere is the answer (video)
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- The Senate Vote Against Limited Background Checks for Gun Sales Is A Disgrace And A F*ck You To Every Dead Child In Newtown And Beyond (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Fox News hates the US constitution(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- Amazon exploits book sales monopoly position in dirty war with Hachette (video)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars! (video)
- Fox News knows how to keep the spirit of Christmas (by despising the homeless)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you aint seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- If you don’t like gays, don’t run a bed and breakfast (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Drones will be used to enforce ObamaCare….apparently (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Richard Cohen Washington Post columnist: Is it still racist homophobia if it’s in brackets? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising Fox like you should! (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)