“We tape the show at 7 O’clock, so by the time you’re seeing this, you’re probably dead.” Thus began Stephen Colbert‘s segment about the ridiculous scaremongering by the Western media reporting the ‘threat’ posed by the Ebola virus to those of us living outside of West Africa.
Even though there has never been a single reported case of transmission or death arising from the Ebola virus in the United States, the UK or Western Europe news editors across all media have flooded the news cycle with terrifying and wholly unrealistic reports, ‘projections’ and ‘analyses’ in order to ensure that we keep our fear-goggles firmly pinned to our faces.
The cases you may have seen reported in our ‘trustworthy’ media in recent days are either totally misleading reports of people with other illnesses or they have been about victims who were in Western Africa when they contracted the virus and who have now been medivaced back to their country of origin for treatment.
There are outbreaks of the Ebola virus every few years in Africa – although this one appears to be a little more virulent than those that have been seen in the past – and its victims are a tragedy for all those concerned. Even so, most of what you have read and seen in the British and US media about a potential Ebola pandemic in the last week has been, to paraphrase Colbert, yanked from news editors’ asses. The reports have been crafted specifically to keep you scared and to keep you consuming and, more specifically, buying news.
So, if you have been worried by what you have seen don’t be. If it was not for the recent media hysteria there would probably not even have been any tests undertaken for Ebola in the US and UK and in the chart above those countries would be grey instead of pink. I am not a journalist but given the abject failure of journalistic integrity of those who profess to be, I think it would be sensible to break some important news to the (hopefully) few of you that may have been worried by the sensational headlines that have been thrust upon us recently and it is this:
Unless you have travelled to Western Africa, are close to someone who has or you intend to visit there soon, there is almost zero possibility that you will contract the Ebola virus.
So relax….and enjoy the video….
Due to copyright restrictions in order to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
Unmodified Video © Channel 4 News / ITN / Channel 5 /Comedy Central
…..and in the words of Douglas Adams…
- Iain Duncan Smith’s Universal Jobmatch is a Monster failure (video)
- MH370: The 24 hour news cycle gives us all heat but very little light (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- Propaganda wars: the loaded language of media bias in reporting the Gaza conflict (video)
- Fox News hates the US constitution (video)
- The Blackstone and Codere scandal: “just another day on Wall Street” (video)
- Immorality and Paul Singer’s Elliott Management – they’re called vulture funds for a reason (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- Iain Duncan Smith’s DWP forcing jobseekers to use government website riddled with fraudulent job ads (video)
- Public Accounts Committee says Iain Duncan Smith’s Universal Credit project is guilty of “shocking failures in management” and is an “unmitigated disaster” (video)
- £334m written-off or mismanaged by Iain Duncan Smith in Universal Credit “disaster”
- With ‘poor doors’ you get to live in a great building in a great neighbourhood, what else do you want? Dignity? (video)
- Lynton Crosby’s Tory spin machine is a cancer at the heart of the British government (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s Tinker Bell statistics (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien (Audio)
- Wealth inequality madness: tax policy is made by the few for the few at the expense (and with the support) of the many (video)
- The “rank hypocrisy” of political donations (video)
- How much did government whips know about allegations of MP’s child abuse and where are the ‘dirt books’? (video)
- Former Tory minister accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk named as Edward Garnier (video)
- Internet sex offenders: not the real thing? (Reblog of Dr. Sarah Nelson post) (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- The publication of the Rochdale child sex abuse report replaces the “culture of hopelessness” with the the more familiar culture of passing the buck (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!
- Updated With Video: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister says he ‘believes’ to be true? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 2 (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 3 (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Migration Myths (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Faisal Islam’s (not) looking for answers (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)