It is a fact that 97% per cent of all scientists involved in the study of the earth’s climate agree that its climate is changing and that human activity is a cause of this change. Given the weight of this overwhelming scientific evidence base why is it that there are still so many politicians and members of the public who are sceptical of the evidence or even flatly deny that climate change is a reality?
The answer is simple and unsurprising.
In Naomi Klein‘s latest book, “This Changes Everything”, she lays the blame for climate change squarely (and accurately in this blog’s opinion) at the feet of unfettered capitalism. This is not some socialist rant but a logical conclusion to draw from the unending quest for more and more profit and economic growth through increased (largely unnecessary) consumption of the earth’s resources.
Klein’s conclusion is not new. Those of us who believe the Enlightenment was not just something that happened to everyone else and base our conclusions on the best available evidence, have accepted that industrialisation and energy production in particular are the driving forces behind man-made climate change and the capitalist economic system. It is overwhelmingly these corporations and their owners who have manufactured the so-called ‘climate change debate‘ in order to confuse the public and delay or, if possible, prevent us from taking steps to reverse the existential threat to humanity that climate change presents.
They have done this by creating and funding a raft of superficially unrelated ‘think tanks’ and ‘grass roots’ organisations who argue vociferously against scientific fact – and of course by the more well trodden path of direct donations to the unquestioning political voice of unfettered capitalism, conservative politicians.
The video has shown the mechanics of how the hoax has been created and the following clip delves in a little more detail into how the Koch brothers and others have attempted to hide their involvement through the use of the “Donors Trust”.
The people behind the denial hoax are not foolish enough to believe their own propaganda and they know they are causing inestimable harm to the planet. Like the scorpion crossing the river on the back of the frog, as successful players of the game of capitalism, it is simply in their nature.
Change is required today. The lead times involved between taking action that affects our climate and that change taking effect are measured largely in decades and even centuries and time is running out. We are wasting time on a false debate designed to benefit a tiny few today and the planet is paying the price.
Suzanne Goldenberg’s article: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks
Brent Matsalla: Climate Change Denial Groups Funded by ‘Dark Money’
- What is it with the Republican party’s refusal to accept the scientific consensus on man made climate change? (video)
- DISRUPTION (Official 2014 Movie ) The Most Dangerous Threat We’ve Ever Faced (video)
- Antarctica – stop coming here! (video)
- Whether conservative or progressive your Daily Mail style science denial is hurting our kids and killing our planet (video)
- Jon Stewart: You cannot fix the Middle East by waving a magic bomb (video)
- Raising the UK terror threat level from “be afraid” to “panic” feeds public fear and that is what the government wants (video)
- Will refusing to pay ransoms to Islamic State prevent further terrorism? (video)
- We all want peace and democracy in the Middle East and that’s why we sell them so many weapons – what could possibly go wrong? (video)
- Through the Israeli looking glass: where a peace treaty is really a “strategic terrorist attack” (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- “Make a difference” – Jon Snow’s emotional appeal for the children of Gaza (video)
- Emily Maitlis’ surgical strikes blow Mark Regev’s defence of Israel’s attack on a UN school out of the water (video)
- Obama’s drone strikes are murder – it’s that simple (video)
- Obama: Judge, Jury & Executioner (video)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: secrecy, surveillance, the IPT and RIPA (video)
- Force-feeding of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is exactly like this (video)
- The “rank hypocrisy” of political donations (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- How much did government whips know about allegations of MP’s child abuse and where are the ‘dirt books’? (video)
- Former Tory minister accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk named as Edward Garnier (video)
- Internet sex offenders: not the real thing? (Reblog of Dr. Sarah Nelson post) (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- The publication of the Rochdale child sex abuse report replaces the “culture of hopelessness” with the the more familiar culture of passing the buck (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s DWP forcing jobseekers to use government website riddled with fraudulent job ads
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!