“Climate change was a hot topic once again this week on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, as Monday’s episode lambasted world leaders for the apparent lack of progress made during the United Nations Climate Summit on Sept. 23.”
Due to copyright restrictions in order to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
“Just this past week, global leaders gathered in New York for the United Nations…annual motorcade competition,” Stewart said.
While formal negotiations won’t happen until the next big round of climate change talks begin in Paris in December 2015, Stewart pointed to signs of trouble ahead.
The leaders of China and India skipped the summit, even though they are the first-and third-biggest producers of greenhouse gas emissions in the world, respectively. (The United States is the second-largest carbon polluter). While the U.S. participated in all portions of the summit, it has in the past rejected the notion of a carbon tax, something Ban has called for.
Brazilian leaders, meanwhile, have already said they wouldn’t agree to a plan that would call for halting deforestation by 2030.
The lack of consensus prompted Stewart to wonder if the whole summit was hopeless, but he found one agency that still believes the planet could be saved—the United Nations’ audiovisual department.
Stewart showed a clip of What’s Possible, the video narrated by Morgan Freeman that kicked off the climate summit. In the short film, Freeman talks of a future powered by energy sources that “won’t scar the land or poison the seas.”
But Stewart had a better idea.
“If you really want to capture the full gravity of climate change, I think you should have chosen a different Morgan Freeman monologue,” Stewart said, showing clips from the 1998 thriller Deep Impact, in which Freeman plays the president of the United States and an asteroid the size of Texas heads for Earth.
“This is it,” Freeman says in the clip. “If the world does go on, it will not go on for everyone; New York City, Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, all will be destroyed. So that’s it; good luck to us all.”
- Whether it’s abuse, poverty or disability, we are all survivors and we are stronger together (video)
- How Citigroup wrote the US budget and effectively repealed the Dodd-Frank bank reforms (video)
- Richard Branson: from climate change hero to big fat carbon polluting zero (video)
- What is it with the Republican party’s refusal to accept the scientific consensus on man made climate change? (video)
- DISRUPTION (Official 2014 Movie ) The Most Dangerous Threat We’ve Ever Faced (video)
- The science is clear and unequivocal, so why is there a ‘debate’ about climate change? (video)
- Antarctica – stop coming here! (video)
- Whether conservative or progressive your Daily Mail style science denial is hurting our kids and killing our planet (video)
- Jon Stewart: You cannot fix the Middle East by waving a magic bomb (video)
- Raising the UK terror threat level from “be afraid” to “panic” feeds public fear and that is what the government wants (video)
- Will refusing to pay ransoms to Islamic State prevent further terrorism? (video)
- We all want peace and democracy in the Middle East and that’s why we sell them so many weapons – what could possibly go wrong? (video)
- Through the Israeli looking glass: where a peace treaty is really a “strategic terrorist attack” (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- “Make a difference” – Jon Snow’s emotional appeal for the children of Gaza (video)
- Emily Maitlis’ surgical strikes blow Mark Regev’s defence of Israel’s attack on a UN school out of the water (video)
- Obama’s drone strikes are murder – it’s that simple (video)
- Obama: Judge, Jury & Executioner (video)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: secrecy, surveillance, the IPT and RIPA (video)
- Force-feeding of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is exactly like this (video)
- The “rank hypocrisy” of political donations (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- How much did government whips know about allegations of MP’s child abuse and where are the ‘dirt books’? (video)
- Former Tory minister accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk named as Edward Garnier (video)
- Internet sex offenders: not the real thing? (Reblog of Dr. Sarah Nelson post) (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- The publication of the Rochdale child sex abuse report replaces the “culture of hopelessness” with the the more familiar culture of passing the buck (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s DWP forcing jobseekers to use government website riddled with fraudulent job ads
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!