Fiona Woolf has told the Home affairs Committee that she does not consider herself to be a member of the Establishment but this blog thinks she may just be a little confused. Here is a tip for Mrs. Woolf, if you aren’t sure whether or not you are a member of the Establishment, look down at your own chest and if there is a couple of kilos of solid gold ceremonial chain hanging from your neck, that’s a sure signal that you are probably not just an ordinary member of the public!
As Mrs. Woolf continues to cling-on to her position on the child abuse inquiry seemingly intent on causing maximum pain and discomfort to survivors and child abuse professionals alike, the spotlight on abuse blog asks “What next for The Inquiry into Historical Abuse?”
Text re-blogged from Spotlight On Abuse 29 October 2014
“Fiona Woolf is following in the footsteps of Elizabeth Butler-Sloss with a similar cogent reason. This is an emerging pattern which should surely be taken by Teresa May as a warning. The Inquiry is seen by those most likely to benefit from it, victims of abuse and professionals trying to help them, as a cover-up of cover-ups. It has been set up because the establishment is no longer trusted by those most vulnerable to the abuse of power. No wonder there is now a power struggle being waged over its composition, remit and structure.
Original video © BBC
At the heart of the choices made about who is to chair the Inquiry and who is to sit on the panel are some fundamental questions. Who is to decide the process? Who is to control it? Who can be relied on to speak truth to power? The main group of stakeholders are surely those survivors who have been abused then betrayed again via inaction and the concealment of evidence and are now not assured of a process in which they can take part. They have been patronised as a ‘victim community’ by Woolf and as yet have no structured way of giving evidence.
Professionals and survivors witnessing and working in the field of child protection for decades have collective experience that should be helpful and is being overlooked. We wish to know why. Is it part of the continuing need for containment and denial that acknowledged experts in the field who have thought and learned most about the problems are not being consulted? Some are labelled as beyond the pale in terms of the establishment; some have had their careers constrained and blighted by the need of society not to know the truth about these things. Yet this group has hung on in there hoping one day that society will begin to acknowledge the enormous iceberg of systemic abuse in our midst and will want to know what they can tell them about its deliberate containment and use of scapegoating to deflect public concern.
This is a big ask of course. But the questions for today might be, how can the evidence of survivors be heard and acted on? What alternatives are there to an inquiry which inspires no confidence? For example, why is the whole issue not being given the status and resources of a Royal Commission? This of course would be extremely costly, it would not be a quick fix, but would perhaps be a fitting acknowledgement by government and society of the extent of the institutional cover-ups from the 1980s and even earlier decades. It might go some way to restoring the faith of those who most need the truth to emerge.”
Sue Richardson, Psychotherapist
Heather Bacon, Consultant Clinical Psychologist (retired)
NSPCC http://www.nspcc.org.uk/ Tel: 0808 800 5000
The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) http://www.ceop.police.uk/ Telephone: +44 (0)870 000 3344 or 999 in an emergency
*There is help available for adult survivors of childhood abuse online however I am not in a position to highlight any individual organisation
- Ed Miliband’s “condescending and evasive” response to calls for a national child abuse inquiry (spotlight blog) (video)
- Cyril Smith: the paedophile MP and the police and MI5 cover-up (Dispatches documentary) (video)
- Cliff Richard child abuse allegation: Police media tactics “subvert due process” (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- How much did government whips know about allegations of MP’s child abuse and where are the ‘dirt books’? (video)
- Former Tory minister accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk named as Edward Garnier (video)
- An unamed MP is accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk to withhold child sex abuse evidence (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- The publication of the Rochdale child sex abuse report replaces the “culture of hopelessness” with the the more familiar culture of passing the buck (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s DWP forcing jobseekers to use government website riddled with fraudulent job ads
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!
- How the fight against wealth inequality makes 99% of us Nazis
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester
- Obama: Judge, Jury & Executioner
- The end of net neutrality is why everything that you enjoy on the internet is about to cost you more
- When it comes to cuts, why are welfare benefits for the wealthy different to those for the poor?
- This is how a highly regulated banking system works and it is what global banking should look like
- Newsnight 6 Jan 2014: Conservative party double down on their war on the poor
- Fergus Wilson: This is what happens when welfare is withdrawn and unregulated scumbag landlords are allowed to dictate which of us deserves a home
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? (Revised and updated) (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Update: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 2
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 3
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism
- Proof Beyond Reason – For Eurosceptics Is There Any Amount of Evidence That Would Be Enough?