Last week the Pennsylvania House decided not to vote on a measure that would have banned the consumption by humans of household pets. It should have been “one of the easiest, most sensible decisions possible… but nope, it’s still legal to eat cats and dogs..” reported local news website billypenn.com.
“How did more than 200 elected leaders fail to even vote on a cat-and-dog-eating bill that had gained bipartisan co-sponsorship from more than 30 house members? The bill became a tougher sell when legislation prohibiting pigeon shoots was added — that’s when a little lobbying organization of which you may have heard, the NRA, got involved. Shooting pigeons is like shooting clay pigeons, except instead of launching fake birds into the air, real pigeons are launched and then shot.”
Due to copyright restrictions in order to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
Original video © Comedy Central
“Somehow that happened earlier this week. What you’d normally think of as housepets can still be lunch in Pennsylvania after the House failed Monday to vote on House Bill 1750, a measure the Senate passed 36-12 last week. As odd as allowing the consumption of cats and dogs sounds, most other states don’t have explicit bans, either. But New York, California and others do. In California it’s illegal to possess your pet’s carcass, while New York and Georgia specifically bar killing and eating dogs.
Though we probably won’t be seeing any pet-eating restaurants in Rittenhouse Square anytime soon, the consumption of dogs and cats isn’t unheard of. About 10 years ago, Pennsylvania SPCA authorities discovered a man breeding 150 Jindo dogs to sell their meat. But since our state lacks any specific law against that, they could only bust him on charges of breeding dogs in unsanitary conditions, not whipping up those puppies for dinner. In 2007, veterinary students at Penn found a neighbor who was cooking dogs, and the man couldn’t be charged.
Pennsylvania actually stands out further from the rest of the United States in allowing organized pigeon shoots. Forty-five states, according to the Humane Society of the United States, have either a ban or state laws that have been applied or could be applied to prohibiting them (even Texas, a mega-hunting state like Pennsylvania, bans pigeon shoots).
This isn’t the first time lawmakers and animal rights advocates have called for making the activity illegal. It’s been happening for decades. In 1883, the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals attempted to get state legislators to prohibit pigeon shoots.
Heidi Prescott, senior vice president of campaigns for the Humane Society of the United States, spent the last three weeks in Harrisburg lobbying in support of the bill. She’s been working on getting legislation passed in Pennsylvania banning pigeon shoots since 1993, for about the same amount of time as Anne Irwin, executive director of the Bucks County SPCA. Irwin said this was the closest she had seen pigeon shoots to getting banned. A 2013 Mason-Dixon poll showed 75 percent of Pennsylvania residents approved of legislation banning pigeon shoots.”
- Whether it’s abuse, poverty or disability, we are all survivors and we are stronger together (video)
- How Citigroup wrote the US budget and effectively repealed the Dodd-Frank bank reforms (video)
- Are you kidding me? “Pure political calculation” is why Republicans refused a congressional debate about war with ISIS (video)
- Jon Stewart: You cannot fix the Middle East by waving a magic bomb (video)
- Fox News: Obama’s announcement of military action against ISIS is “blowing an uncertain trumpet” (video)
- What is it with the Republican party’s refusal to accept the scientific consensus on man made climate change? (video)
- Raising the UK terror threat level from “be afraid” to “panic” feeds public fear and that is what the government wants (video)
- Will refusing to pay ransoms to Islamic State prevent further terrorism? (video)
- We all want peace and democracy in the Middle East and that’s why we sell them so many weapons – what could possibly go wrong? (video)
- Through the Israeli looking glass: where a peace treaty is really a “strategic terrorist attack” (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- “Make a difference” – Jon Snow’s emotional appeal for the children of Gaza (video)
- Emily Maitlis’ surgical strikes blow Mark Regev’s defence of Israel’s attack on a UN school out of the water (video)
- Obama’s drone strikes are murder – it’s that simple (video)
- Obama: Judge, Jury & Executioner (video)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: secrecy, surveillance, the IPT and RIPA (video)
- Force-feeding of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is exactly like this (video)
- The “rank hypocrisy” of political donations (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- How much did government whips know about allegations of MP’s child abuse and where are the ‘dirt books’? (video)
- Former Tory minister accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk named as Edward Garnier (video)
- Internet sex offenders: not the real thing? (Reblog of Dr. Sarah Nelson post) (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- The publication of the Rochdale child sex abuse report replaces the “culture of hopelessness” with the the more familiar culture of passing the buck (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!