Readers of this blog in the UK may be familiar with the ideological output of Breitbart News following its British launch in February this year. Presumably to gain traction with the UK’s reactionary right, it was quick to recruit the effete former Spectator journalist, man-made climate change denier (he has compared wind farms to paedophilia and called for climate change activists to be executed) and subverter of parliamentary democracy (at the prompting of Tory Chris Heaton-Harris MP he stood as a rival candidate against his own party in the Corby by-election) James Delingpole as executive editor.
No stranger to spouting factually questionable and wholly ideological polemic, Delingpole will have been delighted to read the latest attempt by his colleagues in the US to invent another Benghazi style conspiracy, this time, over Obama‘s nominee for Attorney General, Loretta Lynch. He was probably less happy to discover that Breitbart’s craven political hatchet job was hilariously exposed as an extraordinary example of risible, biased and inept journalism by Stephen Colbert on his late night satirical comedy show The Colbert Report.
Due to copyright restrictions in order to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
Original video © Comedy Central
“In a since-removed article published Sunday, the conservative news website falsely reported that Lynch represented former President Bill Clinton during the Whitewater scandal. That, however, was a different Loretta Lynch, and not the president’s attorney general nominee.
“I’m giving a tip of the hat to Breitbart for breaking this news, finding out it’s broken, but sticking with the story anyway,” Colbert said.
At one point, the article was updated to include “[CORRECTION]” in the headline and a correction note was added at the bottom, but the story was eventually taken down from the site.
“I salute Breitbart for not taking down a headline that you know is false — they are craven political hatchet men,” he said. “Oh, they eventually took it down? My apologies. They are craven political hatchet men (corrected).”
- Whether it’s abuse, poverty or disability, we are all survivors and we are stronger together (video)
- How groupthink is transforming (and destroying) our democracy
- How Citigroup wrote the US budget and effectively repealed the Dodd-Frank bank reforms (video)
- Propaganda wars: the loaded language of media bias in reporting the Gaza conflict (video)
- Why are there no reliable statistics for US police shootings of civilians in the United States? (video)
- Are you kidding me? “Pure political calculation” is why Republicans refused a congressional debate about war with ISIS (video)
- Jon Stewart: You cannot fix the Middle East by waving a magic bomb (video)
- Fox News: Obama’s announcement of military action against ISIS is “blowing an uncertain trumpet” (video)
- What is it with the Republican party’s refusal to accept the scientific consensus on man made climate change? (video)
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism (New Video source)
- Raising the UK terror threat level from “be afraid” to “panic” feeds public fear and that is what the government wants (video)
- Will refusing to pay ransoms to Islamic State prevent further terrorism? (video)
- We all want peace and democracy in the Middle East and that’s why we sell them so many weapons – what could possibly go wrong? (video)
- Through the Israeli looking glass: where a peace treaty is really a “strategic terrorist attack” (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- “Make a difference” – Jon Snow’s emotional appeal for the children of Gaza (video)
- Emily Maitlis’ surgical strikes blow Mark Regev’s defence of Israel’s attack on a UN school out of the water (video)
- Obama’s drone strikes are murder – it’s that simple (video)
- Obama: Judge, Jury & Executioner (video)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: secrecy, surveillance, the IPT and RIPA (video)
- Force-feeding of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is exactly like this (video)
- The “rank hypocrisy” of political donations (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- How much did government whips know about allegations of MP’s child abuse and where are the ‘dirt books’? (video)
- Former Tory minister accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk named as Edward Garnier (video)
- Internet sex offenders: not the real thing? (Reblog of Dr. Sarah Nelson post) (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!