It’s not only the monstrous and still widening wealth inequality gap that is now the same as in 19th century Britain; it’s also our debtors’ prisons. Introduced by stealth towards the final days of the coalition government by Tory imbecile in chief Chris Grayling, the ‘criminal courts charge’ is leading to the unnecessary imprisonment of the poorest and is causing a crisis in magistrates courts across England and Wales.
“More than 50 magistrates are understood to have resigned from the bench in recent weeks amid an extraordinary judicial revolt against new court charges which critics claim encourage innocent people to plead guilty.
Pressure to reform the criminal courts charge, which was introduced earlier this year, has increased as more cases emerge of impoverished people being forced to pay hundreds of pounds for minor offences – in addition to any fines.
Audio © BBC
A Crown Court judge and Britain’s most senior criminal barrister have now joined those voicing opposition to the charge, which they say is “extremely unfair” and could “trigger more crime” when applied to the poorest in society by forcing them to steal to cover the cost of the penalty.
The Independent can reveal that defendants recently required to pay the charge include a man from Sunderland who threw himself in front of an off-duty policeman’s car in a suicide attempt.
He had been waiting for a lorry to take his life, but when none came along he jumped in front of a car and ended up in court for causing criminal damage to the vehicle. Gavin Lee, 26, was forced by Sunderland magistrates’ court to pay a £180 court charge – as well as £425 in insurance excess for the driver’s Mercedes. Lee, who had no previous convictions, was also charged for possessing drugs.
The new levy was introduced by the former Justice Secretary, Chris Grayling, to make criminals pay for the upkeep of the courts. Campaigners hope that his successor, Michael Gove, will consider ditching or reforming the measure as evidence grows that it unfairly penalises those whose crimes are motivated by poverty.”
Grayling, one of the most intellectually barren minister’s that this country has seen in my lifetime, lifted this miserable charge from the “municipal fines” regimes operating in the United States where their iniquitous effects have proved highly controversial.
To watch the clip use the password: imincorrigible
Video © HBO
The criminal courts charge is one more front in David Cameron’s all out war against the poorest in our society. His brand of ‘compassionate’ conservatism is a disgrace and shames us as a nation and it’s time to shutdown this “fuck barrel” politics.
- It’s expensive, kills the innocent and doesn’t deter crime – it’s time to end the capital punishment debate (video)
- John Oliver does piggate (video)
- John Oliver on the EU’s (and the media’s) racist and inhumane treatment of migrants and refugees (video)
- Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn: Parallel lines (full length video)
- Jon Stewart to Fox News: Your hypocrisy isn’t a bug in the Fox model, it’s the feature! (video)
- Donald Trump attacks GOP presidential candidates for suckling at the Koch brothers’ money teat (video)
- Louise Mensch – the gaffe prone gift to social media that keeps on giving
- What does sex education in American schools look like? (Jon Oliver) (video)
- Christian conservative parents and the virulent question of sex education in school (video)
- Jon Stewart’s full extended interview with President Barack Obama (video)
- Ricky Gervais’ prediction of the Samuel L Jackson racism incident was spookily accurate
- “This is a terrorist attack” Jon Stewart’s powerful monologue on the Charleston race murders (video)
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart unpacks the UK general election Part 2 (video)
- James O’Brien’s only making plans for Nigel (or when is toast not toast?) (video)
- Jon Stewart: Hillary Clinton’s donations and diarrhoea (video)
- The ugliness of Fox News and Megyn Kelly’s tsunami of bone headed ignorance (video)
- DOJ investigation proves racism is rampant in Ferguson police department (video)
- Fox News: Ferguson riots result of “racial arsonists” stoking a victim mentality in black America (video)
- How groupthink is transforming (and destroying) our democracy (video)
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- Housing the homeless – yes the answer really is this simple
- How Citigroup wrote the US budget and effectively repealed the Dodd-Frank bank reforms (video)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime
- Regulation is why the Canadian banking system has had no financial crises in 150 years
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Wealth Inequality
- What has Goldman Sachs got in common with the new version of the Monopoly board game?
- Right-wing ideology: “government should never interfere with the free market (except when it suits conservatives)”
- Where Are The British Daily Show And Colbert Report?
- J K Rowling knows that fair tax is the price we pay for civilisation
- RNC claim thirty-five thousand ‘possible’ cases of voter fraud justifies their racist reforms but they’re wrong (again)
- Biased US supreme court strengthens wealthy donors’ influence on political parties
- Supreme Court declares racism is dead in America…..but they forgot to tell Donald Sterling and Cliven Bundy…
- Thomas Piketty – Why we need a global wealth tax
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff
- If you don’t like gays, don’t run a bed and breakfast
- The end of net neutrality is why everything that you enjoy on the internet is about to cost you more
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone
- The 24 hour news cycle gives us all heat but very little light
- Capitalism: serving God and Mammon?
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you ain’t seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- How banks have hoodwinked you over high frequency trading
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It
- Investment Banks & Bankers: Too Big (Headed) To Jail
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising fox like you should! (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism