Last Week Tonight host John Oliver devoted the opening segment of his show to the widening scandal over Donald Trump’s fraudulent Trump University — and his commentary rivaled his Drumpf episode.
After touching upon Trump’s racist comments about Judge Gonzalo Curiel’s decision to release documents on the get-rich-quick school, the host took a deep dive into revelations about the so-called “university” and its “hand-picked instructors.”
“Trump University wasn’t even a university. Which makes you wonder what the fuck was in Trump Steaks?” Oliver said before suggesting the steaks might possibly have been possum meat.
“But the name was just the beginning,” he continued. “Because, remember how he had ‘handpicked instructors?’ Well, according to his own depositions, he did not personally select instructors for live seminars, and he was unable to recall the names of key faculty members.”
Oliver added, “According to the sworn testimony from several former employees, many instructors and mentors had no experience buying and selling real estate. In fact, one had previously worked as a salesman for Lowe’s, while another had been district manager for Buffalo Wild Wings.”
After pointing out that a former employee claimed the school was in the business of selling “false hopes and lies,” Oliver conceded that Trump University did have some similarities to real schools, puckishly adding, “Every university has sold some of its students false hopes and lies. It’s just that most of the time they call it a ‘theatre arts degree.’”
After detailing high pressure techniques found in the Trump University “typo-ridden playbooks” — telling salespeople to not let prospective students walk because, “Money is never a reason for not enrolling in Trump University; if they really believe in you and your product they will find the money. You are not doing any favor by letting someone use lack of money as an excuse,” — Oliver unloaded on Trump.
“’Lack of money is not an excuse’ is not what single parents need to hear, it is what Donald Trump needs to hear when a fifth company of his inevitably files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy,” he exclaimed.
Noting that prospective students were also promised an opportunity to have their picture taken with the great man himself, Oliver pointed out that those pictures were taken with a cardboard cutout of Trump instead.
“That is actually a perfect metaphor for Trump University. You’re expecting the real thing, but in the end, all you get is a tacky two-dimensional façade with Donald Trump’s face slapped on it,” he smirked.
Raw Story 6 June 2016
Video © HBO
- Donald Trump the conspiracy theoretician (video)
- James O’Brien and satire v Donald Trump’s vile and violent voters (video)
- Meet Ted Cruz: religion, hookers, voter fraud and hated by his own party, what’s not to like? (video)
- Meet John Kasich the ‘moderate’ Republican candidate (video)
- John Oliver explores Donald Trump’s big, dumb, crazy wall (video)
- John Oliver destroys Syrian “terrorists posing as refugees” hypocrisy (video)
- Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn: Parallel lines (full length video)
- The Beeb, the bias and the bashing (The Conversation)
- James O’Brien’s only making plans for Nigel (or when is toast not toast?) (video)
- Breitbart News: craven political hatchet men…..(corrected) (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- Emily Maitlis’ surgical strikes blow Mark Regev’s defence of Israel’s attack on a UN school out of the water (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- Lynton Crosby’s Tory spin machine is a cancer at the heart of the British government (video)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: secrecy, surveillance, the IPT and RIPA (video)
- J K Rowling knows that fair tax is the price we pay for civilisation (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s Tinker Bell statistics (video)
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill-Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC (And The Daily Mail)
- Eurosceptics & UKIP grateful for baby talk distraction as Tory review into EU powers comes up with ‘wrong’ answer (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Audio Clip from BBC Radio 4 ‘More or Less’ confirming UKIP ‘lies about the EU being responsible for 75% of UK legislation
- The Facts, the Myths and the Framing of Immigration (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Migration Myths (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Faisal Islam’s (not) looking for answers (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- David Cameron let’s the cat out of the bag about Maria Miller
- Royal Mail privatisation – Vince Cable’s epic fail
- David Cameron and Theresa May have been hiding inconvenient ‘crimes’ and immigration statistics
- Evidence not ideology: The signal and the noise or lies, more lies, even more lies and government statistics
- Piers Morgan get it the f*ck together on transgender politics
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester