To say that the Republican National Convention is comical, would be to massively understate the degree of planned falsehood that is being used to activate the cackles of the base. Just as Vote Leave played on racist fears of immigrants in the UK’s Brexit referendum, the GOP have their own playlist of nerve touching lies to get the overwhelmingly, male, white, Christian crowd bleating out Trumps key messages.
“The theme of the second night of the Republican convention was “Make America Work Again,” but the false and misleading claims we flagged touched on topics beyond the economy and jobs:
- Donald Trump Jr. distorted Clinton’s gun control proposal, claiming, as his father did, that she wants to “take away Americans’ guns.” Clinton’s gun control proposal doesn’t call for taking away guns.
- Two speakers claimed that Clinton paid women less than men in her Senate office. That’s true if one includes only workers who worked for Clinton full-time for a full year, but it’s not accurate if including workers who worked part of the year or took unpaid leaves of absences.
- Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson and former U.S. Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey both mentioned Clinton’s “what difference does it make” quote on Benghazi, but left out the context of that remark. Clinton didn’t say that the loss of life in Benghazi didn’t make a difference.
- Sens. Dan Sullivan of Alaska and Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia took Clinton’s words on coal-mining jobs out of context. Capito said Clinton “promised to devastate communities and families across coal country.” But Clinton said she wants to bring renewable energy jobs to coal country to replace lost coal jobs.
- Capito used a one-sided report and back-of-the-envelope calculation to claim that “the burden of government regulations in this country amounts to $15,000 a household.” And she exaggerated the number of coal mining jobs that have been lost since 2011, putting the figure at 60,000, when it’s 36,700.
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell wrongly said that Clinton was for the Keystone XL pipeline before she was against it. She did not take a position until she opposed the pipeline in 2015.
- Capito also said the Obama “economic agenda” has led to “the lowest workforce participation in decades,” but the rate began its decline in the late 1990s and is due mainly to baby boomers retiring and other demographic factors. The unemployment rate, meanwhile, is below the historical norm.
- Sen. Jeff Sessions claimed that “respect for America has fallen,” but the U.S. is viewed more favorably in many countries now than it was before President Obama took office.
- Donald Trump Jr. also wrongly said that his father
Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah:
Video © CBS / Comedy Central / Viacom
- Republicans hit Cleveland: Day one with Samantha Bee (video)
- Bill Maher battles Frank Luntz and why are Trump’s kids running his campaign? (video)
- Republicans hit Cleveland: Day one with Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart (video)
- Trump tells world “I’m my own adviser” as he retweets racist tweets (video)
- Trump too busy to take advantage of Hillary’s email farrago (video)
- John Oliver vents his spleen over UK’s Brexit vote (video)
- Stephen Colbert decodes the riddle of Trump and the words “radical Islam” (video)
- John Oliver on racist Trump and his fake university (video)
- Seth Myers on Trump’s racism and attacks on press freedom (video)
- Donald Trump the conspiracy theoretician (video)
- James O’Brien and satire v Donald Trump’s vile and violent voters (video)
- Meet Ted Cruz: religion, hookers, voter fraud and hated by his own party, what’s not to like? (video)
- Meet John Kasich the ‘moderate’ Republican candidate (video)
- John Oliver explores Donald Trump’s big, dumb, crazy wall (video)
- John Oliver destroys Syrian “terrorists posing as refugees” hypocrisy (video)
- Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn: Parallel lines (full length video)
- The Beeb, the bias and the bashing (The Conversation)
- James O’Brien’s only making plans for Nigel (or when is toast not toast?) (video)
- Breitbart News: craven political hatchet men…..(corrected) (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- Emily Maitlis’ surgical strikes blow Mark Regev’s defence of Israel’s attack on a UN school out of the water (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- Lynton Crosby’s Tory spin machine is a cancer at the heart of the British government (video)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: secrecy, surveillance, the IPT and RIPA (video)
- J K Rowling knows that fair tax is the price we pay for civilisation (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s Tinker Bell statistics (video)
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill-Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC (And The Daily Mail)
- Eurosceptics & UKIP grateful for baby talk distraction as Tory review into EU powers comes up with ‘wrong’ answer (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Audio Clip from BBC Radio 4 ‘More or Less’ confirming UKIP ‘lies about the EU being responsible for 75% of UK legislation
- The Facts, the Myths and the Framing of Immigration (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Migration Myths (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Faisal Islam’s (not) looking for answers (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- David Cameron let’s the cat out of the bag about Maria Miller
- Royal Mail privatisation – Vince Cable’s epic fail
- David Cameron and Theresa May have been hiding inconvenient ‘crimes’ and immigration statistics
- Evidence not ideology: The signal and the noise or lies, more lies, even more lies and government statistics
- Piers Morgan get it the f*ck together on transgender politics
- UKIP Fruit Loops (An Occasional Series): No.2 David Silvester