Yesterday our government produced its annual fig leaf for the UK’s all but non-existent social mobility. As ever, it made positive noises about how the UK should be and largely is a “meritocracy”. This inevitably followed a damning report into how social mobility has been static or gone into reverse because of the coalition’s policies.
The widely reported publication of the latest forecasts for the level of child poverty in the UK concluded that we will miss the 2020 legal target to eliminate it and that it will probably be higher at 3.5 million households than it is today. In response, Dominic Raab was rolled-out to publicise his report into meritocracy and social mobility. Unsurprisingly, given Raab’s (very) right of centre views, his ‘plan’ is to entrench the old approaches as the way forward.
Modified Video © imincorrigible
Original Audio/Video © BBC / Comedy Central
So his headline grabber is more free places for children of families with lower incomes in private schools and a continuation of unpaid internships for those who can afford to live off of the bank of mum and dad. Typically for a Tory report, facts and figures are largely absent from Raab’s exposition (at least during his appearance on the Daily Politics) and that is one of a number of reasons why he receives a drubbing from the always switched-on Owen Jones.
- If Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers he’s wrong
- Support for the Nazis and Andrew Wakefield, spurious and dangerous health ‘advice’, misogyny, racism and anti-Semitism. When is Paul Dacre going to apologise to the British people for the Daily Mail? (video)
- The Daily Mail’s Record Of Misleading Readers Over Health Issues Isn’t Funny
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you aint seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Drones will be used to enforce ObamaCare….apparently (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- Regulation is why the Canadian banking system has had no financial crises in 150 years
- What has Goldman Sachs got in common with the new version of the Monopoly board game?
- Right-wing ideology: “government should never interfere with the free market (except when it suits conservatives)”
- J K Rowling knows that fair tax is the price we pay for civilisation
- RNC claim thirty-five thousand ‘possible’ cases of voter fraud justifies their racist reforms but they’re wrong (again)
- Biased US supreme court strengthens wealthy donors’ influence on political parties
- Supreme Court declares racism is dead in America…..but they forgot to tell Donald Sterling and Cliven Bundy…
- The FT’s take-down of Thomas Piketty is no Thomas Herndon moment (video)
- The end of net neutrality is why everything that you enjoy on the internet is about to cost you more
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone
- The 24 hour news cycle gives us all heat but very little light
- How banks have hoodwinked you over high frequency trading