Just last month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) approved J.R. Simplot’s genetically modified potatoes. The potatoes are made to produce less acrylamide, a suspected carcinogen — and they are the latest in a long line of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and crops. Many believe GMOs have adverse side effects on a person’s health, while others believe they’re equally safe and nutritious as conventionally developed foods. So, which is it?
The Daily Show correspondent Aasif Mandvi spoke with Jeffrey Smith, of the Institute for the Responsible Technology, and Walter DeJong, an associate professor of integrative plant science at Cornell University, to better understand both sides of the GMO debate. To Smith, genetically engineering any crop is dangerous; eating GMO potatoes might alter human gene expression, even cause death, he said. But to DeJong, Simplot’s potato does cuts down on possible carcinogens without posing any risk to human DNA.
“Our bodies have been slicing and dicing DNA for as long as we’ve been in existence,” DeJong said.
Turns out, this is the majority opinion among scientists. Mandvi cited a Pew Research Center report that found 88 percent of scientists believe GMOs are safe for consumption, compared to 37 percent of people who don’t believe them. And in a plot twist, Smith eventually reveals he’s not a scientist. He merely interviews scientsits in an effort to make their findings more palatable for the general public.
What’s more is the anti-GMO movement, DeJong said, has increased regulatory costs for anyone trying to develop genetically engineered crops; “only companies with deep pockets can play,” he added. This leads Mandvi to conclude the greatest damage done by GMOs is by the people who believe eating these crops will kill them.
To view the video please type or paste the password: imincorrigible
Video © Comedy Central
- What’s in your food? POM Wonderful vs Coca-Cola (video)
- Amazon exploits book sales monopoly position in dirty war with Hachette (video)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars! (video)
- Tax dodging Amazon patent’s “displaying things” (video)
- How Citigroup wrote the US budget and effectively repealed the Dodd-Frank bank reforms (video)
- In 2015, whether it’s abuse, poverty or disability, we are all survivors and we are stronger together (video)
- Biased US supreme court strengthens wealthy donors’ influence on political parties (video)
- The Blackstone and Codere scandal: “just another day on Wall Street” (video)
- Wealth inequality madness: tax policy is made by the few for the few at the expense (and with the support) of the many (video)
- When it comes to cutting the budget deficit, why do conservatives think tax cuts for the wealthy are different to welfare cuts for the poor? (Video)
- Thomas Piketty – Why we need a global wealth tax (video)
- Wealth inequality and other things we don’t have to learn from America (video)
- Why do Republicans keep telling everyone “I am not a scientist”? (video)
- The science is clear and unequivocal, so why is there a ‘debate’ about climate change? (video)
- RNC claim thirty-five thousand ‘possible’ cases of voter fraud justifies their racist reforms but they’re wrong (again) video
- How the fight against wealth inequality makes 99% of us Nazis (video)
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- You Know That They’re Racist When….. They Accuse You Of “Playing The Race Card”
- If Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers he’s wrong
- Investment Banks & Bankers: Too Big (Headed) To Jail
- Now it’s clear – the Royal Mail privatisation ripped-off the British people
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 1)
- The Tyranny of Private Gains and Public Losses
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 2)
- James O’Brien shows UKIP supporters why facts matter
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you aint seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It
- The Senate Vote Against Limited Background Checks for Gun Sales Is A Disgrace And A F*ck You To Every Dead Child In Newtown And Beyond
Well said. Sadly the GMO foes ( a bit like religious zealots) don’t want a reasoned, scientific evidence.
LikeLiked by 1 person