Jon Stewart‘s Gaywatch takes a sideways look at the UK’s supreme court ruling against B&B owners Peter and Hazelmary Bull who refused to allow a gay couple to sleep in a double room and asks how the Catholic church could possibly be “out-marketed” on LGBT issues when it is supposed to have God on its side!
Due to copyright restrictions in order to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
(Video © Comedy Central)
Gay ban guest house OAPs ‘saddened’ after losing fight against paying damages 27 Nov 2013
Five judges ruled they had broken the law by refusing to let Martyn Hall and civil partner Steven Preddy sleep in a double room
The elderly Christian owners of a guest house who turned away a gay couple have lost their fight against having to pay damages for sex discrimination.
But the five judges today ruled they had broken the law by refusing to let Martyn Hall and his civil partner Steven Preddy sleep together in a double room at their guest house in Marazion, Cornwall.
Mrs Bull said after the hearing: “We are deeply disappointed and saddened. We’re just ordinary Christians who believe in the importance of marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
“Britain ought to be a country of freedom and tolerance, but it seems religious beliefs must play second fiddle to the new orthodoxy of political correctness.
“We appealed to the Supreme Court to introduce a bit more balance when dealing with competing rights of sexual orientation and religious liberty.
“Somehow, we have got to find a way of allowing different beliefs to coexist in our society.
“The judges sidestepped that big issue and reinforced the notion that gay rights must trump everything else.”
In 2011 a judge at Bristol County Court concluded that the Bulls acted unlawfully and ordered them to pay a total of £3,600 damages. In 2012 the Court of Appeal dismissed an appeal by the Bulls following a hearing in London.
Hazelmary added: “It’s our home. All we have ever tried to do is live according to our own values, under our own roof.”
Mrs Bull said she and her husband bore no “ill-will to Steven and Martyn”.
Source: Daily Mirror
- In 2015, whether it’s abuse, poverty or disability, we are all survivors and we are stronger together (video)
- How Citigroup wrote the US budget and effectively repealed the Dodd-Frank bank reforms (video)
- Piers Morgan get it the f*ck together on transgender politics (Video)
- DISRUPTION (Official 2014 Movie ) The Most Dangerous Threat We’ve Ever Faced (video)
- The science is clear and unequivocal, so why is there a ‘debate’ about climate change? (video)
- Antarctica – stop coming here! (video)
- Whether conservative or progressive your Daily Mail style science denial is hurting our kids and killing our planet (video)
- Jon Stewart: You cannot fix the Middle East by waving a magic bomb (video)
- Raising the UK terror threat level from “be afraid” to “panic” feeds public fear and that is what the government wants (video)
- Will refusing to pay ransoms to Islamic State prevent further terrorism? (video)
- We all want peace and democracy in the Middle East and that’s why we sell them so many weapons – what could possibly go wrong? (video)
- Through the Israeli looking glass: where a peace treaty is really a “strategic terrorist attack” (video)
- An Israeli soldier’s story – Eran Efrati (video)
- “Make a difference” – Jon Snow’s emotional appeal for the children of Gaza (video)
- Emily Maitlis’ surgical strikes blow Mark Regev’s defence of Israel’s attack on a UN school out of the water (video)
- Obama’s drone strikes are murder – it’s that simple (video)
- Obama: Judge, Jury & Executioner (video)
- If you have done nothing wrong you have EVERYTHING to fear: secrecy, surveillance, the IPT and RIPA (video)
- Force-feeding of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is exactly like this (video)
- The “rank hypocrisy” of political donations (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- How much did government whips know about allegations of MP’s child abuse and where are the ‘dirt books’? (video)
- Former Tory minister accused of applying pressure on Simon Danczuk named as Edward Garnier (video)
- Internet sex offenders: not the real thing? (Reblog of Dr. Sarah Nelson post) (video)
- A public inquiry into an establishment cover-up of non-recent child abuse is not a “stale ritual” (video)
- Home Office claims that the Leon Brittan paedophile dossier is “lost” are not credible (video)
- Bryn Estyn, Oxford, Rochdale and now Cyril Smith but still no public inquiry (video)
- GOTCHA! Serial sex offender and paedophile Max Clifford jailed for just 8 years (video)
- The publication of the Rochdale child sex abuse report replaces the “culture of hopelessness” with the the more familiar culture of passing the buck (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Paedophile Neil Wilson’s Suspended Sentence Just Another In An “Endless Catalogue Of Insane Judgements By Male Judges Excusing Men Who Attack Women” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Pulped Jillings Report Finally Published But Where’s The Public Inquiry? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Cameron’s a congo bongo if he thinks banning words will help to stop child abuse (video)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s DWP forcing jobseekers to use government website riddled with fraudulent job ads
- The facts don’t fit your prejudices? No problem. Be like Fox News and invent your own!