The US Federal Communications Commission website reported technical difficulties because of heavy traffic this week hours after comedian John Oliver called on viewers to share their thoughts with the agency about what he called “cable company fuckery”.
On Sunday’s episode of the HBO show Last Week Tonight, Oliver encouraged viewers to take advantage of the 120-day open commenting period on the FCC’s Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet proposal and tell the government what they thought of the plan.
“Good evening, monsters,” Oliver said, before urging online commenters to submit their comments to the agency’s site.
Critics say the FCC’s plan would destroy net neutrality because it creates a “tiered internet” where companies could pay for higher speed access. To maintain net neutrality, they argue, internet should be classified and regulated like a utility.
Due to copyright restrictions to watch the clip you need to type or copy and paste the password: imincorrigible
Video © HBO
Following post published January 2014
You may not have noticed yet but we have just lost the most important free speech issue of our time. In another example of American un-exceptionalism, global corporate greed has been allowed to run roughshod over other nations’ rights of self-determination. Two weeks ago an American court ruled against an open internet and ended net neutrality for the world.
Video © Comedy Central
Most internet traffic originating in Western Europe at some point is routed through servers in the US. Whether you are doing a Google search or sending an email from your Hotmail or Yahoo account or paying with a Visa card most of the stuff you do online is subject to US regulation. It is why the NSA have found it so easy to collect and analyse all of your emails and it also the reason the US court’s decision on net neutrality affects everyone.
It is a disastrous decision for which we will all pay again and again and again.
If you don’t know what net neutrality is or why it is important here is a handy video explanation.
Original post published 23 January 2014
- You Know That They’re Racist When….. They Accuse You Of “Playing The Race Card”
- Tax dodging Amazon patent’s “displaying things” (video)
- The sheer scale of child sexual abuse in Britain – reblog of Nick Davies article
- The FT’s take-down of Thomas Piketty is no Thomas Herndon moment (video)
- When it comes to cutting the budget deficit, why do conservatives think tax cuts for the wealthy are different to welfare cuts for the poor? (Video)
- Tim Geithner fails the Jon Stewart stress test (Daily Show extended interview video)
- Antarctica – stop coming here! (video)
- Update: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 2 (video)
- The NSA’s posture on collecting your private data: “We collect it all, sniff it all, process it all and exploit it all” (video)
- Whether conservative or progressive your Daily Mail style science denial is hurting our kids and killing our planet (video)
- Gun control works and the Australian experience proves it (video)
- Supreme Court declares racism is dead in America…..but they forgot to tell Donald Sterling and Cliven Bundy…
- Biased US supreme court strengthens wealthy donors’ influence on political parties
- If Robert Peston thinks that it’s time to stop bashing the bankers he’s wrong
- Investment Banks & Bankers: Too Big (Headed) To Jail
- Now it’s clear – the Royal Mail privatisation ripped-off the British people
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 1)
- The Tyranny of Private Gains and Public Losses
- The Problem with Investment Banking (Part 2)
- James O’Brien shows UKIP supporters why facts matter
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- Fox News hates the US constitution
- If you thought that 1,700 applications for 8 coffee shop jobs was bad you aint seen nothing yet!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- NRA Conference Speakers Message To America: Fear Everything And Everyone(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- If you don’t like gays, don’t run a bed and breakfast (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Capitalism serving God AND Mammon (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Corporations are legally defined as people except when they commit a crime (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Chimps would have been more productive than the 113th do-nothing Congress (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Now Amazon’s involved in the drone wars!(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Drones will be used to enforce ObamaCare….apparently (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Richard Cohen Washington Post columnist: Is it still racist homophobia if it’s in brackets? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: God’s Holy Profit (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi! Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart on the 60 minutes gaff (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- “Murdoch’s World” and praising Fox like you should! (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- ‘Matt’ from York is Ill Informed and Angry but I Don’t Blame Him I Blame the BBC (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? (Revised and updated) (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Update: Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be rue? Part 2 (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Do you want the truth from your government or just what a minister believes to be true? Part 3 (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Proof Beyond Reason – For Eurosceptics Is There Any Amount of Evidence That Would Be Enough? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- I Liked What Blair Said In 2002 And I Also Like What Cameron Said Two Days Ago But Which Is Better? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- When it comes to cuts, why are welfare benefits for the wealthy different to those for the poor?
- Irrational Debate And A Misinformed Public: Wealth Inequality And Other Things We Don’t Have To Learn From America (Updated)
- Iain Duncan Smith’s explosive row with LBC’s James O’Brien
- Iain Duncan Smith and Esther McVey sneer, laugh and then vanish as commons debates why Britain’s desperate poor are forced to use food banks
- Iain Duncan Smith: “On time and on budget” just one more lie from a man who has lied to the public for years (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Public Accounts Committee says Iain Duncan Smith’s Universal Credit project is guilty of “shocking failures in management” and is an “unmitigated disaster” (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Migration Myths (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Are You Stupid? What Has Happened To Rational Debate Over Immigration? (Part Two)(imincorrigible.wordpress.com)
- Gun Control Works and the Australian Experience Proves It
- The Senate Vote Against Limited Background Checks for Gun Sales Is A Disgrace And A F*ck You To Every Dead Child In Newtown And Beyond
- The Facts, The Myths And The Framing Of Immigration